A couple of months ago I found this in my cupboard.
I posted the picture with my Monday Harvest post and Shawn Ann helpfully told me what she did with hers. She twisted off the shoots and placed them in a glass of water to grow roots. I did as instructed and this was the result:
Look at those beautiful roots! Here they are again from another angle in which you can also see the leaves. It was the evolution of the leaves that I found most interesting and really regret not having photographed along the way.
Essentially the leaves went from those strange pinky orange things to the beautiful green heart shapes they were when I planted them out yesterday.
All in all it has taken 2 months for them to go from; shoots on a plant, to developing roots, to being potted up, left on my daughters windowshelf to grow, then in the past 2 weeks taken outside to harden off before being planted out yesterday. It will be interesting to see if they do anything. I would love a harvest like Dave’s at Our Happy Acre’s but in Melbourne’s climate that is unlikely. I think I will settle for any sort of tuber at all, and eating a few leaves along the way.