After my failure to post a Salad Days recipe in July I am trying to makes amends this month, although how successful I’ve been depends on how you view fennel. Now I know fennel isn’t actually a leaf but as this salad also contains herbs and the fennel provides a cool, crisp base for the salad, just as a salad leaf would, so I thought I could get away with it. Regardless though I love fennel and whilst I enjoy it cooked I do generally prefer it raw in salads. I also love pomegranate and fortunately it is in season here at the same time as fennel so makes for a great seasonal combination.
Fennel & Pomegranate Salad
- 1 fennel bulb – finely sliced
- 1 small red onion – finely sliced
- 1 small bunch soft herbs – eg parsley, coriander – finely chopped
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 1 cucumber – finely sliced
- 100g feta crumbled (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1tblspn lemon juice
- 3 tblspns extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
Place salad ingredients onto a serving dish. Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Serve.