Happy New Year! Of course most of this harvest comes from 2011 which is probably just as well as I’m not really used to 2012 yet. In fact some of this harvest was growing last winter which, as I sit here and the mercury creeps towards 40 degrees (104F), seems a long time ago indeed. I harvested my last red cabbage this week which, due to the heat, has mainly been used to make coleslaw.
The majestic butter beans are still going strong, although annoyingly I had a woody one in this batch. I am really pleased with our spring onions though – along with lettuce I’ve used them in salads pretty much everyday this week.
The tomatoes are starting to ripen – most go straight from vine to mouth but this represents our current crop, as well as the Cape Gooseberries which suffer the same fate as the tomatoes. Of the cherry sized tomatoes so far we have had ripe Sweet F100 Hybrid, Broad Ripple Current, Baby Red Pear, Tommy Toe, and Yellow Boy.
I harvested the first lot of shallots this week, the first of what should be a reasonable crop considering I didn’t plant that many in the first place.
Anything green is getting a pretty good run in my kitchen at the moment – I am obsessed with mint and put it in everything – from white wine spritzers, via tea to coleslaw and salads. The basil is starting to pick up too (it seems to have been quite slow growing this year) – there is some in that pile of salad ingredients in case you hadn’t noticed.
As I mentioned earlier we have been eating a lot of lettuce, mainly loose leaf varieties, due to my inability to grow iceberg lettuce, and quite a bit of Cos.
I cooked sorrel for the first time this week, making a cannellini bean and sorrel dish inspired by a recipe in Yotam Ottolenghi’s book Plenty which I was given for Christmas. The tarragon, parsley and spring onions pictured here also went into the dish. Incidentally if you think part of this photo looks a little blurry, rather than just out of focus, you are absolutely right – I was wondering why my images looked a little odd when I had a look at the camera and found three small, 2 year old boy sized, finger prints on the lens.
I also turned out another tub of Kipflers – the best yield yet – over 35 salad sized potatoes weighing 1.25kg from a 40cm pot. These came from a pot in which the potting mix was gradually hilled up as the plants grew. If you’ve been following my previous potato posts you’ll know that my experience has been that; the hilling up method doesn’t produce as many Kipflers potatoes – expect of course in this instance where it has produced more. So either; this is the exception that proves the rule, or proof that I have no idea what increases yields of Kipfler potatoes (or possibly both….).
And lastly but by no means leastly – my first jade beans and my first slicing tomato – a not quite (but almost) ripe Rouge de Marmande. I saw a mouse the other day and didn’t want to tempt fate by leaving it on the vine any longer. The silverbeet here was used in tonight’s dinner – Spanikopita, with those cucumbers as a side salad. I also served the Spanikopita with the Beetroot & Date Chutney I made in October. This was the first time I had opened one of the jars – I really enjoyed it and will definitely make that chutney recipe again.
For other harvests from around the globe skip on over to Daphne’s Dandelions.